This workshop was part of our 2020 OA Region One Convention on Zoom and included two speakers, a writing prompt with writing for ten minutes, sharing in small group breakout rooms, and sharing as a large group at the end of the workshop. For each question, participants were asked to put their “one thing” in the chat. Here (with only minimal editing) are their responses to our three "Just One Thing" questions.
One thing I have done to bolster my recovery in 2020:
- Willingness to use Zoom
- Attended lots of different meetings across the country as we are able to attend meeting virtually.
- Went to an OA Rise meeting.
- honestly saying "I don't know" and being teachable
- I started a virtual meeting
- agreed to be a temporary sponsor, which opened a lot of doors
- "Balance" (more of it in life)
- studied the principle of the traditions once a month
- Doing Step 10 from Big Book - spot checking throughout the day, not just at night, I became aware of the sixth sense and intuition. This is the voice of HP.
- I make a choice everyday which road I am choosing to take 1/ the path to recovery abstinence living joyous and free or 2/ control, overeating, despair and suffering
- Setting Boundaries
- Getting a sponsor
- Attended Zoom meetings out of state.
- Making 3 or more outreach calls every day.
- Hosting virtual workshops
- began sponsoring
- Working the first 3 steps with sponsees.
- Learn to surrender to my Higher Power.
- More exercise. Discovering an online gym.
- Working with a sponsor to keep accountable so that I keep moving forward with my Ninth Step work
- Joined the Step 10/11 train which is a group of women who get paired up for two weeks and call each other with their inventories.
- Also to join Step 10/11 train, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is an orientation meeting you'll need to attend first.
- listened to my instinct in asking for a particular person to be my sponsor.
- realizing I am a food addict and that changed everything
- Made a decision to live (a healthy life) rather than continue to compulsively overeat.
- Coming to this Convention.
- getting "back to basics" with my program...asking what wirjs? and doing that
- Acting on any small willingness that came to me
- Meditation walk daily
- Lots of shares about steps 10, 11 and 12
- Attend or facilitate a 12 Step workshop from the green workshop guide
- More service
- Started a Step Study using the 12 Step Study and Workshop
- Facilitated a Virtual Step Study using the 12 Step Workshop and Study guide of OA (Green spiral)
- Sponsoring a newcomer very different from me with food and HP issues
- Even with COVID, I can still attend my Yuma meeting and see my Yuma OA’ers even if I am not going this year.
- I took on new service position
- Worked the steps with my first ever step sister from 20+ years ago and together we used the green workshop book. It was amazing. I also started using a meditation app twice daily.
- 3 meals 1 day at a time with nothing but life in between. My choice is to be in recovery.
- acceptance of necessity of shutting down, vs winter travel to warm places, of needing to scale back on risky activities (mountain climbing, skydiving) that also help with weight maintenance, willingness to give up diagnosed food allergens, break with family of origin. Willingness, acceptance, surrender, life on life's terms... etc...
Just one thing I would say to a newcomer that might be helpful to them, OR one thing that really helped ME as a newcomer:
- wanna temporary sponsor?
- don't do this alone
- Welcome Home
- Go to as many meetings as possible.
- go to a Virtual newcomer meeting
- find a 12 day sponsor
- slow down and KISS! (Keep it Simple, Sweetie!)
- You're not alone, here's my number, keep coming back.
- This is an addiction and needs to be treated seriously.
- grab a sponsor guide
- Try at least 6 meetings
- listen for your story in others shares
- There is no one right way to do the program. Keep coming back until you find what works for you.
- it works if you work it
- ask for a glossary for all the acronyms
- Don't give up because the program doesn't make sense at first...keep going to meetings, get a sponsor who can guide you through it.
- Put yourself in the middle of the herd so that you create connections and break the isolation!
- Take what you want and leave the rest.....p.s. we do pick up more as we keeping coming back.
- Try the “New to OA” meeting every Saturday at 6PM through Oregon Intergroup.
- oa.org - find a virtual meeting
- Let go of defiance; and remember you have a choice; you don't HAVE to do anything; you are choosing to do this!
- you are welcome you are deserving you are special and you are not alone
- tradition 3, together we get better
- It's a we program!
- It's ODAT, I don't give up eating a certain food for the rest of my life, but for today, I choose not to eat it.
- let us love you until you love yourself
- Here's my phone number, you're very welcome to call.
- Get a sponsor
- Keep a journal from day 1 to reflect on as you go through your program.
- the only way you fail is to leave
- OA is the "Good Clean Plate Program" at a buffet of ideas. Take what you want, and leave the rest. However, you might consider taking what you need and leave the rest.
- know that you can't do it wrong ❤
- a desire to stop eating compulsively is the only requirement
- this is a rough time to join a fellowship. congratulations on your bravery. keep coming back.
- Ask someone if they would like a temp sponsor! it helps!
- Give yourself some grace while learning the lingo and ask questions if you don't understand!
- A sponsor helps in working the 12 Steps and progressing in your recovery. It is okay to ask for a sponsor, even if you are new.
- bring your journal to meetings to take notes for recovery tips!
- Keep coming back and keep trying new things, even if abstinence eludes you.
- Join a Step Study Group
- life will change, the world will change, you will change over the long haul. but this can be the thread of your life....
- go to oaregion1.org/sponsorship.html to get a sponsor
- Ask someone to take you through the Newcomer's First 12 Days. (Let newcomers know about this resource. 12 Days may seem do-able to a newcomer and make it easier to start.)
One thing I would like to commit to adding to my program for the rest of 2020:
- 30 meetings in 30 days....30 phone calls in 30 days...30 meditations in 30 days. Set up a calendar for whatever you decide to do 30 days on! Keep it Simple. :)
- More meditation...walking meditation
- A E I O U 10th Step: a = abstinence e = exercise I = what I did for myself o = what did I do for others u = what was uncomfortable (more classic 10th step) (some people add “Y” for Yahoo’s/Gratitudes) to the above format
- Begin looking at the Principles of the Steps/Traditions/Concepts
- Go to a meeting in every state / every province / why not in other countries?
- Ask for willingness, then act on it as soon as it comes!
- look at my food plan. Not perfection, but ask my sponsor if I can start committing my food. Or, find a food plan partner.
- I felt JOY at the idea of attending meetings in other countries -- I'm going to start doing that!
- oa region 9 can take you to Europe meetings
- Make outreach calls on a weekly basis
- really committing to an action plan, including being more open to service.
- continue project -- catch myself in being negative toward myself. work on this and make more progress.
- start a daily practice that supports my well-being for the day -- commit to making this a more regular, daily thing each morning
- Have been working on my action plan. Have made an action plan surrounding food plan, which helps me eat more regularly and on time. This helps me with daily routine.
- reach out to newcomers. call out and be humble and real
- Daily 3:00 tea time when depression sets in.
- I want to commit to loving myself fiercely for the rest of the year. Being kind to myself.
- Wake up and say I'm glad to be alive and today I'm going to be excited!
- I would tell newcomers that OA has taught me tons of new tools to live my life free of food addiction, obsession, and shame.
- So grateful for this experience. All the best to you for the next 24
- I love this banquet of ideas and the fact you set it up to record commitments in chat!!!
Thank you to everyone for your amazing shares!