Then I realized that there are ways in OA that we give a great deal of advice:
- We advise depending on God’s guidance
- We recommend reading OA literature
- We suggest you attend several meetings to see the many ways OA can help you
- We suggest using our nine tools of recovery to help guide you
- We advise you that a sponsor is a very helpful person to have in your life
- We suggest spiritual ways to find a new perspective and a new strength
There is so much guidance offered and wisdom in taking these actions. I think the thing is that I have to be the one taking the action instead of waiting for the right words or right person to “fix” me. As it says in For Today on page 277 about looking elsewhere for peace:
“‘I would if I could, my friend, but – as it is for me – the problem is within.’ It is not the weather, the dog, the neighbor, my house, my spouse, or lack of spouse, my job or lack of one; it is within me.
For today: I am completely honest in taking stock of myself so I can learn why I feel as I do about myself.”
Now that’s some good advice!
Nadine D. – Region One