Q. How many sponsees is too many?
- It varies depending on your life circumstances.
- You want to have enough time to give them the attention they deserve.
Q. How much in-person vs over the phone/email/text works best?
- Virtual sponsorship works if you work it.
- A mix is great if you are located in the same geographic area.
- I meet face to face once a week with my sponsor for a "walk and talk."
- I call my sponsor every morning at a set time for 15 minutes.
- My sponsor and I do a combo of texts and calls.
Q. What makes a sponsor a "tough" sponsor?
- Talking truth is important and it may be the first time someone has heard unvarnished truth.
- Setting clear guidelines and sticking to them is important.
- Asking hard questions.
- Asking "What are you willing to do TODAY for your recovery?"
Q. What do I do with someone who can't get abstinent?
- Ask the same question as above "What are you willing to do today for your recovery?"
- Nothing changes if nothing changes...
- Suggest: Pray for willingness...ask for help...text me before that first compulsive bite...
- Use the Before You Take that First Compulsive Bite pamphlet as a writing exercise.
- Use the 12 Step Workbook of Overeaters Anonymous Step One questions.
- You can't want their recovery more than they do...
Q. What if I can't reach my sponsor?
- Develop your own OA support crew.
- Have the phone number of members of your meetings.
- Call a newcomer.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Attend a phone meeting.
- Write a letter to your sponsor.
Here are more good questions about sponsorship:
- Should a sponsee always call me or can I call them?
- What is a binge? What is a slip versus a break in abstinence?
- When am I ready to sponsor?
- How much time does sponsoring take?
- How can I find a sponsor?
- Why should I have a sponsor? Why should I be a sponsor?
Feel free to share your answers to these questions in the comments. Together we get better!
Pat and Nadine - Region 1